Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I cook food

Well, that experiment in consistent blogging didn't last long, did it? I've been sitting on a bunch of food pictures, from CSA weeks 1 and 2, with no good reason not to post them, except that it seemed daunting with no apparent cause. Well, actually, I know the cause. The pictures are all on my phone and Phredward's camera. Now that my phone pics are syncing automatically to Google+, it should be easier to get them. Phredward's pictures may be lost forever. Anyways, without further ado:

This is a crazy-amazing soba noodle salad that I made with the last of Week 1's mizuna, radishes, and garlic scapes. I should point out that I discovered only recently that they are garlic scapes and not garlic scrapes. I don't know what a scape is.

Here is Week 2's haul:

The contents are:
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Red sail lettuce
  • Escarole
  • Radishes
  • Summer squash (4)
  • Summer spinach
  • Garlic scapes
  • Oregano
I swapped a head of butter lettuce for an extra summer spinach. I also managed to score a free half-gallon of whole milk, since I was on work-shift and a bunch of people didn't pick their milk orders up.

I sauteed the escarole and the radish greens with the garlic scapes, and cooked them with a can of white beans. It was more or less this recipe, but halved since I only had one head of escarole, plus I added lemon to cut through the bitterness a little. I turned the radishes into radish and parsley salad, of my own invention. Pretty much what it sounds like -- radishes, parsley, salt, pepper, lemon juice. This is what it all looked like as dinner.

I turned the spinach and some of the whole milk into this spinach souffle, but the pictures are on Phredward's camera, and therefore lost forever. I used more of the milk to make this amazing raspberry cake. It turns out, if you don't have a mixer, you can use a soup zuzzer. You can't say I'm not resourceful.

I cut up and froze the squashes, and we ate most of the red lettuce in some kind of boring salad at some point during the week. The romaine, sadly, did not get used.

Then I promptly left town for two weeks, skipping CSA Weeks 3 and 4. Ok, enough blogging for now. Next time, maybe I'll review some of the books I've been reading. Exciting, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment